Saturday, February 19, 2011

Lantz

No more snoring at our house!!! It has been 2 weeks and Lantz is officially back to himself, minus the snoring. It is amazing how QUIET our house is and it has never been quiet before. John and I have to check in his room to make sure he is alive because it is so quiet. He only took about a week and half to recover so we were glad about that. We are glad that part of our lives is over.
Here he is right before we leave the hospital.Our friend, Kirk, was nice enough to babysit for a couple of hours so John could come see us at the hospital. He got to read Lantz some books. While John was away Makelle threw up and Kirk got to deal with the mess. That is a true friend, although I don't think he will be volunteering that again! I felt horrible. Oh well it was nice to see John and get a break while he was there. It was a Valentines to remember!



Getting his first ice cream after surgery!
He did great but we were glad to come home. John was able to miss two days of school to watch the kids. It was good he already planned for that because the Zak and Makelle were sick for an entire week. We both had fun week of ornery miserable kids. It makes me glad my life isn't usually like that and that my kids are usually up feeling good and making messes. Sure makes me appreciate the messes.


**Details for me to remember
The week before surgery when they had to to lab work he did awesome. He held very still for his blood to be drawn and when he got poked his eyes teared and his lip trembled but he didn't cry and he held very still while they got all of the vials of blood. I was SO proud.
They gave him some silly juice before surgery and it made him all smiley and he couldn't hold his head up. He would just lay in my arms and gaze at me with a smiley face.
Surgery was about 1 hour and he did great. The Dr. said his tonsils weren't big they were HUGE and so were his adenoids he was glad to get them out. After surgery Lantz was having a hard time breathing so they had to give him breathing treatments in recovery for the next hour before I got to see him. They sent me to his room to wait for him and we were in a shared room. We got to share with a noisy family on the other side. I was in the room for 2 minutes when I called John to tell him about surgery and I said this is going to be the longest day of my life because I have to share a room. I was looking forward to a nice quiet day just holding Lantz. The room had the bathroom and entrance on my side and the sink on their side. Every nurse or visitor for them had to come in my room and they had to come on my side to use the bathroom and I had to go on their side to wash my hands. Their son kept coming on our side and touching Lantz let's just say it was a LONG day! Lantz did good all day except when he would go to sleep he would have respiratory distress and his alarms would go off. A nurse would come re position him and he would be ok for a few minutes until he would not breath good again. We went to sleep for the night when at about 10:45 we get a knock on the door saying they were coming to clean the other side to get it ready for a patient in the morning. I was thinking what time is it. I thought this can't be for real. They have had 6 hours to clean and they are coming now. I sat up and read for the next half hour while they banged beds, mopped and cleaned the room. Luckily Lantz hadn't got to sleep all day so he slept thru it. The rest of the night he was once again in respiratory distress and the alarms were going off. I stopped calling the nurses because they would just wake him up reposition him and it would all start over. So I spent the night with alarms going off constantly. At one time a nurse heard the alarms down the hall and came in. She had a look of horror on her face as she saw the numbers on the machine. She looked over at me on the couch doing nothing and said this monitor must not be working because his oxygen should not be that low. I said it is working but we can't get him to breath good on his own. That nurse immediately put him on oxygen while I got a lecture about how bad it was to let his oxygen get so low. He stayed on oxygen the whole time while we were there when he was sleeping. He never could get his levels up on his own. After keeping us for an additional day the Dr decided as long as I wasn't worried they would let him go because he was probably used to not having high levels of oxygen. We were glad to finally be released. Lantz was excited to eat some food. The first day we were there they forgot to feed him lunch. When they finally brought him some they brought someone else's food with Fried chicken and mac n cheese. Lantz was crying and begging for the chicken which of course he couldn't have. It was delightful. Two hours later they brought dinner which he wasn't hungry for yet. When they were bringing dinner they asked if he would rather have chicken or a hamburger, REALLY he just got out of surgery? Let's just say they didn't quite have a clue what was going on. Then the next day when he could eat food they brought him Jello and only jello all day. Of course he didn't want to eat that because the day before he had real food. It was a bit of a joke!!!! When we got home he ate many helpings of spaghetti and pudding!


2 comments: