Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Back to School

The kids were excited and anxious to get back to school.  We went the Friday before school started to find out their teachers, meet them, and find their classrooms.  Zak's teacher had just arrived in the country 72 hours before and was trying to set up her room.  She seemed very nice and reminded us of Zak's fantastic teacher from last year.  Next we met Makelle's teacher who also had arrived that week from a different base in Japan.  She also introduced her husband as the PE coach.  They reminded me of a Grandma and Grandpa so I was excited for Makelle.  At first she wasn't sure if she would like her since she wasn't young and hip like her teachers last year.  Then I reminded her how nice Grandma's are so it would be great.  Lantz was at a city tour with John so we found his room and teacher for him.  Here the Kindergarten starts the following week after the regular students.  During the week before the Kindergarteners start the teachers go to each childs home to visit and get to know them.  Lantz was excited to have all three teachers come...teacher, aid, and student teacher (she happens to be in our ward).  The aid read with Lantz while the teacher told me about what to expect for the coming year and to answer questions.

The first day of school the kids were up early.  Makelle was up and dressed by 5:30 am!!!  We don't get up that early now..well some of the kids do and some don't!  We do find that we are able to have prayer with Dad before he leaves and the kids all have time to get personal scripture reading done in the morning.  That makes things less crazy at bedtime.  The school isn't far from us and so it takes about 10 minutes for them to walk.  I walked with them for the first few days to and from school but now they go on their own.  Zak gets to go pick up Lantz from kindergarten so that makes it nice for me.  School starts here at 8:20 and they get released at 2:35...perfect schedule for us!

They have been in school for a week and a half (Lantz half a week) and so far everyone loves it!  Zak made friends the first day and loves his teacher.  Makelle made friends the first day and was planning play dates the second day of school.  This is HUGE for Makelle she is usually very reserved and takes a while to make friends.  My prayers have been answered big time when it comes to her.  Military life is suiting her great.  It has helped all of my kids to not be so shy and make friends but it is really changing her.  It makes me so happy! Makelle also decided her teacher Mrs. Best really is the BEST!

The all take music, spanish, PE, art and host nation (where they learn about Japan).  It is fun to hear the things they are learning in each class. Another fun thing is that the school is right next to the hospital where John works.  He walks (we are trying to only have 1 car) home for lunch most days and he gets to yell to the kids on the playground while they are at lunch.  It is fun to see them and I am LOVING having John home for lunch!

Lantz is loving Kindergarten.  He was so ready to be big.  Once again, no tears from me....that always makes me feel guilty.   I should be sad but instead I am just happy my kids are growing up, learning, and that they are happy!  I will miss that little boy.  He loved to play games and cuddle with me to read.  I just have to make time for it before and after school now.

Karlee and Damon keep each other entertained while the kids are at school.  Some times they play good and some times they just make messes for me.  It is nice to have some alone time with each of them and to also have naptime and quiet time for me!



Lantz Kindergarten




Makelle 2nd Grade



Zak 3rd grade







2 comments:

  1. Sounds like school is going to be awesome!! Love those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look super! I am glad they like their teachers and that they are making friends!

    ReplyDelete