Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer Fun

It's been about a year since I updated the blog, this is Lindsey writing, and I got to spend a couple of weeks in Indiana while Ashley went to girls camp, then we went to Nauvoo, and then I got to bring them all back to Utah with me. I can't believe how much the kids have changed since I saw them at Christmas. Lantz is like a different kid, he is hilarious, Makelle is very cute and very stubborn, but still a "tiny big girl", and Zak is now way (instead of only a little) smarter than me. I had a great time playing with them and am so sad that our time is already over. I told Ashley that I would blog about my/our trip since I have all of the pictures, so here it is!

Definitely three of the silliest kids ever!
The day after I got to Indiana, there was a hot air balloon race and glow. It was pretty cool although we never actually saw a balloon get in the air, and the kids were nervous that the balloons were going to fall on them (mostly Zak and Makelle). They were much happier watching from the car.
We had tons of fun playing together. Being an aunt is the best, especially when you are in the same state as your niece and nephews! One of our favorite things to do together is to build things with couch cushions. We built an obstacle course, although I'm not sure Ashley was thrilled when the kids told her we put all of the cushions and pillows on the floor and jumped on them! We also built a cushion hammock and a jeep for a safari.


We built a great wolf den. It came with two rooms and a trick door in case something tried to come in and eat us. Makelle is the one person demolition crew!

When Lantz did this...
...we did this!We also like to play dress ups. Zak likes layers, while Makelle likes to wear tutu's on her head!

Makelle being a bug. John also looked cute in them, unfortunately we didn't get a picture!

Since I didn't get any pictures at swimming lessons, the kids were showing me how they float on the water.
Zak did amazing at swimming lessons, he could swim across the pool with no help from anyone and can float like you wouldn't believe. He also learned how to dive, from his feet and his knee, and can go down the giant slide by himself and then swim to the other side of the pool to the ladder. He is an amazing kid!

Makelle also did pretty well during the lessons, and would negotiate her way around doing anything she didn't want to do. I heard the words "I have a good idea, how about we do ______ (insert almost anything besides swimming) instead then have a break" quite a few times. She was getting the hang of her arm strokes as long as someone was holding her. After swimming lessons were over however, she decided that she could swim on her own and you can imagine John's surprise when she put her head under the water and really swam using the things she had learned from her teachers. When Ashley came home from camp Makelle told her that she could swim all by herself, but Ashley didn't believe it till she saw it herself!

The kids had a great time playing on the Slip 'n Slide. Lantz didn't care that he wasn't wearing a swimming suit, he loved it!




The kiddos each have a chart with things to do before bed. They read scriptures, say prayers, brush teeth, and etc. They have 15 minutes to complete their charts and if they do, the first person done gets to choose an activity to do before they have to go to sleep. Tag and Hide and Seek were favorites. I think that John and I were the most excited to play (though I think Ashley secretly loved it too), and we tried our hardest to think of great places to hide. One particular time, John decided to hide on the wall between the kitchen and living room. So he climbed on top of the fridge and laid on the wall. Makelle was counting and as soon as she got done she looked up and said "Dad, what are you doing up there?!". He was the first one found after all of that effort, then he couldn't get down and we had to get the ladder to rescue him!


I always have so much fun when I get to spend time with my brother and his family, hopefully it won't be too long before I get to see them again.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Linds for finally updating this thing. I miss all those crazies! They're so cute! (Especially the "Ash Girl")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It was so great to have you guys here... Miss you tons already!! Great update Lin... Can't wait to see the pictures of all the fun things we did while you guys were her! And I keep saying we should all go for the Kentucky Derby :) New hats all around!!! Plus that would be Zak's birthday!! Loves!

    ReplyDelete